Friday, March 6, 2009

Beans, Beans the Magical Fruit

Some really good things have started happening since I started the "Working Hard To Save Others" campaign. People as far away as Maryland, Chicago, and Texas have written to encourage me. Leslie Burns-Dell'Acqua featured me on her blog.

Right now I'm prepping for a shoot that I have from an agency in Canada. My client says she's "freaked out by the slowdown" and is glad to be helping. You probably don't realize that for 1 in 7 Americans, hunger is a reality. This means that millions of hard-working adults, children and Seniors are struggling with hunger. In a land of plenty, this is unacceptable.
312,966 Arizona children under age 18 live in poverty,
representing 1 in 5 of Arizona’s children.
Bev Damore at the St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance says they need: peanut butter, tuna, canned soups and stews, cereals and juices, rice, beans. I'm thinking that because of our neighbor to the north, we can buy a lot of soup, rice and beans.

In case you are wondering why I'm doing this, you need to know that for two decades I was a photojournalist and I realized that my photography had the power to change people's lives. The days of the newspaper are behind me, but my power has never waned. Even if you aren't in a position to hire me, you can go shopping and make your own donation.

You and my photography can make the World a better place. Now let's get busy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Tony: I'm greatly encouraged by your efforts to feed those who need food. It's humbling to ponder the state of abundance I enjoy on a daily basis. May I consider more carefully the opportunities that come my way, to do as you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...And did I mention how much I LOVE your title for this entry. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete