Thursday, September 9, 2010

The 12 Steps of Photographic Rehab

Joey, a writer and friend of mine and I, were talking in regards to our business and vision for the future.  I mentioned that my photography (and business plan) were in a state of "rehab."  Before the lyrics of Amy Winehouse could get stuck in anyone's head, Joey blurted out Step 1 of The 12-Step Program:  "Step 1, admit that you have a problem."

My "problem" isn't a physical problem or addiction.  My issue is the same one that's plagued every photographer during this Great Recession.  I've just come to the realization that it's time to stop complaining, and start working! 

Rehab is my best option.

Time marches on and technology waits for no one.  Canon has created a camera that rivals medium-format photography AND it shoots video.  It's got other problem-solving bells and whistles too.

I have a list of projects that I want to work on.  It's time to get crackin' so that my portfolio can be updated.

Expect to see my work in various sourcebooks.  And just wait until you see my 2011 promos!

I've got a lot of work to do.  It's all good.  It's an investment into myself and my work.  While you are waiting for me to work through my program, I leave you with my tongue-in-cheek 12-Steps.

  1.  I admit I am powerless without doing good photography—that without it, my life had become unmanageable.
  2. I came to believe that there is no Power greater than Photography that could restore my sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of Photography as I understand It.
  4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of my camera bag and cleaned all camera sensors.
  5. Admitted to God, to myself, and to other art directors, the exact vision of my photography.
  6. I am entirely ready to have God remove all distractions and from my Photographs.
  7. Humbly asked Him to remove digital noise and keep images sharp.
  8. Made a list of all persons that I could market to, and then began sending promos to them all.
  9. Made direct friendship with such people wherever possible, except when to do so would piss them off.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory of marketing materials and kept them fresh.
  11. Sought workshops and consultations to improve my conscious contact with Photography as we understood It, praying only for knowledge of Its will for me and the power to carry that out.
  12. Having had a photographic awakening as the result of these steps, I tried to carry this message to art buyers, and to practice these principles in all my affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment