Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Getting noticed

I often find myself telling people that when you are a photographer in the newspaper business, the one thing you don't have to worry about is marketing. Since leaving the news biz, I've learned a great deal about how to get noticed (I think).

Without being pushy, I try to get my work in front of as many eyes as possible. To be a successful [fill in the blank] it's important to get noticed. Actually, I often think that being good at getting noticed might actually be better than just being good at what it is that you do. If you're good and nobody knows, will you get work? Have you ever looked at someone's work and wonder, "How did they get THAT job?" It's simple. They got it because they connected with someone. They were noticed.

In the past thirty days people have noticed me. Southwest Graphics Magazine published a profile on me and Peter at Mighty Imaging put the feature on his blog. Go here to read the article. A few days later, Rosh Sillars mentioned me in his Prosperous Artist podcast. And now if you go to your favorite magazine rack, there is a feature my Maria Piscopo on self promotions and I'm quoted extensively.

As I listened to the podcast and read both articles, I was inspired. I am a photographer who is not only good at what I do, but people are noticing. More evidence of that is that Vanity Fair has invited me to send them my portfolio. I'm sending it off tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment